Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

So salted caramel can't really be called the "it" thing anymore I suppose since Starbucks has it (and with that I am officially a hipster) but it is still mighty delicious. I adapted this recipe from two recipies in Betty Crocker's FANTASTIC Big Book of Cupcakes which was given to me by a lovely friend at my bridal shower. It is absolutely worth it if you love cupcakes, not just for the recipes but also for the tips and the fact that every cupcake recipe has a corresponding frosting recipe that gives you pretty darn close to the exact amount you'll need for perfect frosting. It's been super helpful not to have too little or way too much frosting around (though having too much can be fun, I suppose). The salted caramel frosting on these cupcakes is FANTASTIC, though it doesn't turn out quite like frosting I'm used to: I ended up having more to mold it to the cupcakes than spread it. But it tasted amazing. M even asked me after a bite where I had gotten the caramel from. And it was also far easier than I had ever anticipated. To be honest I only tried this recipe because M promised to wash the dishes afterwards, but it was not complicated and only took a bit more time than your average cupcake. Absolutely worth it!

Adapted Brown Sugar Cupcake Recipe (makes 12; if doubling only add 1 egg):

  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup milk
Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease or line the muffin pan. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Cut the butter into the bowl and add both the brown and granulated sugar; mix a bit before putting into the microwave until the butter is half melted, about 30 to 45 seconds. Mix until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and milk and stir. Scoop into muffin tins. I used a little less than a quarter cup per cupcake, filling each at least 3/4 full. Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-22 minutes. Mine were done after about 17. Pull out and place on racks to cool.


Salted Caramel Frosting:

  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • kosher or coarse salt
In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. When it is melted whisk in the brown sugar. Keep whisking continually until the mixture begins to boil, then add the milk and stir it in well. Continue stirring until it returns to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool for about thirty minutes. This is actually pretty great because it allows both your frosting and your cupcakes to cool at about the same time. The mixture should look something like this:

When the thirty minutes are up add the powdered sugar gradually, mixing thoroughly. I'd recommend against using the whisk to mix in the sugar because it gets all caught inside and is very annoying.

Frost the cupcakes like you normally would and sprinkle a small pinch of the kosher salt on top. Use your judgement on this; I was nervous about it but M thought I got it just perfect and I think they came out quite well.


Anyway I highly recommend these cupcakes; the flavors work very well together and the frosting really does taste like you plopped a giant golden caramel right on top. I love the salty/sweet thing, but if you want to skip the salt step go right ahead, the cupcakes will still be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment