Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oven Baked Fries

This is my favorite recipe of all time.  I love a lot of recipes--a LOT--but I can tell you without hesitation that this is my favorite of them all.  I think I'm just a fry person (haha, get it?).  Not only are these fries crispy and delicious, they are also super easy and relatively good for you.  These are seriously foolproof fries.  I have made them at least four times, each time changing it up a little bit, and not once have they turned out badly.  They are continually fabulous.  And super adaptable!
The trick with these is to make sure to soak them for a full thirty minutes.  This is easy because you can do whatever you want while they are soaking, but it does mean you probably want to start them a full hour before you are going to want to eat.  I adapted this recipe from this blog, which in turn took it from this book, which I am going to buy as soon as it comes back in stock at the local Barnes and Noble.  Because I have several gift cards and don't like actually spending money.
And that's another great thing about this recipe--it is super, super cheap to make!!  You can get five pounds of russet potatoes at the grocery store for under five bucks, and that will make a LOT of fries.  I love potatoes because they give you such a high return in flavor for so little work.  Oven fries, twice-baked, hasselback...no matter what you get a lot for a little.  And they are so adaptable!
Feel free to play with this recipe like I have.  Mix up spices and size.  We really enjoy these with hamburgers or chicken.

Oven Baked Fries (serves 2-3):
  • 3 russet potatoes
  • 5 tbsp oil (olive, vegetable, etc.)
  • salt
  • pepper
Wash the potatoes, removing all eyes/dark spots.  Peel if you wish.  Slice them into wedges and soak in hot water for about 30 minutes.  Take a large rimmed baking pan and coat evenly with 4 tbsp oil.  (I tilt the pan back and forth for a while until it's all covered.)  Sprinkle salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp or so of each, use your judgement) evenly on the pan and set aside.



Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.  Drain the potato wedges and pat dry.  Dry out the bowl they were soaking in and return them to the bowl.  Stir in 1 tbsp oil until the potatoes are evenly coated.  Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet until they are evenly spread.  Cover with foil and place in the oven.  Bake for 5 minutes, then remove the foil.  Bake for another 15-20 minutes, turning the pan halfway through.  Remove sheet from oven and flip over every fry--I find a spatula and tongs works best for this.  Return to the oven for a last 5-10 minutes.  Serve immediately, while they are still hot, with mayonnaise, vinegar or ketchup.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment